Home » Education » Koondrook locks in soccer success

Koondrook locks in soccer success

KOONDROOK Primary School cemented its status as a local school soccer heavyweight with a clinical defence of its inter-school crown on Sunday morning at Atkinson Park, Kerang.

Arriving in bullish mood and having two separate teams entered in the second edition of Kerang Soccer Club’s five-a-side tournament for local schools, Koondrook’s ‘A’ side produced a ruthless display of finishing to win the grand final 5-0 against a Combined Schools team featuring players from Barham and Kerang Christian College.

Despite the final score, the Combined Schools side weasable to take a lot of positives from their campaign, being the surprise package on the day.

A grand final rematch had been on the cards, with Koondrook and Kerang South Primary being kept apart at the semi-final stage of the event.

However, the players in the Combined Schools side didn’t allow their inexperience of playing together affect them as they saw out a deserved victory against Kerang South in their semi-final.

The second semi guaranteed that Koondrook had at least one representative in the final, as the ‘A’ and ‘B’ sides were pitted against each other, meaning that players came up against classmates and fellow family members.

They had already played out a draw during the group stages of the event, but another evenly contested game eventually saw Koondrook ‘A’ advance to the final.

With player of the tournament Zander Martin orchestrating things from midfield, Koondrook Primary proved too much going forward for the Combined Schools’ young defence.

At the other end, Koondrook were able to claim a clean sheet thanks to an inspired, point-blank save from goalkeeper Charlie McInerney late in the game.

While the final 5-0 score was probably a little unjust on the Combined Schools’ tournament efforts as a whole, it was by no means misleading in regard to Koondrook’s dominance in this tournament.

The region’s other schools will be keen to put them to the test in the next run of the tournament, which will be scheduled next autumn.

“The day had been another tremendous success,” KSC president Daniel Michaels said.

“I don’t want to tempt fate for the next edition but we’ve had tremendous weather at both tournaments and it’s obvious that the kids are really enjoying themselves as well.

“We’ve been so lucky that the local council have allowed us the use of such a significant section of Atkinson Park, in addition to the local sporting club grant that helped to pay for some of the equipment we use on the day.”

KSC treasurer Daniel Roberts was also keen to highlight the role played by the club’s volunteers and the players’ parents.

“We can’t overstate the importance of those who have given up their free time to help, whether that be by scoring, cooking the barbecue or even just helping put some cones away at the end of it all,” Roberts said.

“We pride ourselves on all of our junior soccer sessions and events being free for everyone, but without the help from those both within and outside of the club these things simply couldn’t happen.”

The tournament signalled the official conclusion to the club’s autumn–winter soccer program, but a smaller spring edition is provisionally pencilled in for October.

Details will be announced on the Kerang Soccer Club Facebook page.

Digital Editions


  • Flood recovery exhibition

    Flood recovery exhibition

    RESIDENTS and visitors are now able to view a photographic display highlighting the Gannawarra’s recovery from the 2022 floods. The Gannawarra Reflect and Connect –…

More News

  • Daily bag limits as season announced

    Daily bag limits as season announced

    VICTORIA’S 2026 duck hunting season will proceed with a daily bag limit of nine birds, a decision the State Government says is grounded in science but which critics have condemned…

  • Hefty price tag for road sealing

    Hefty price tag for road sealing

    A PROPOSAL to seal a road connecting Murrabit to Murray Downs in New South Wales carries a high price tag of $22 million, Murray River Council has been told. In…

  • Gas deadline looms

    Gas deadline looms

    RESIDENTS and businesses in Kerang are being urged to act quickly as Solstice Energy prepares to close its compressed natural gas network. The Victorian Government will host a fresh round…

  • She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    A PROMINENT independent political candidate has put her hand back as a hopeful for the Federal seat of Farrer, following the current MP and former Coalition leader Sussan Ley’s dramatic…

  • Year in Review

    Year in Review

    Tuesday, September 2 Fairbrother Construction completed preliminary work on the aged care facility in Cohuna. The $41.1 million project was said to feature 16 aged care beds, as well as…

  • Council outgrows status

    Council outgrows status

    MURRAY River Council will seek reclassification from Rural Large to Regional Rural, arguing rapid population growth and a booming tourism sector have outgrown its status. Councillors have endorsed a submission…

  • Cruise North America

    Cruise North America

    Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or vice versa. Fifteen days, seven guided…

  • Oldies urged to be cautious around water

    Oldies urged to be cautious around water

    LIFE Saving Victoria is urging older adults, particularly those from multicultural communities, to take extra care around water and during extreme heat as new figures reveal the scale of the…

  • Cod almighty: Big Murray catches signal healthy waters along rivers and creeks

    Cod almighty: Big Murray catches signal healthy waters along rivers and creeks

    MURRAY cod numbers are on the rise along Gunbower Creek and the wider Murray River system, with environmental water flows and on ground habitat works credited for healthier native fish…

  • Calls backed for water royal commission

    Calls backed for water royal commission

    THE New South Wales Parliament has backed a call for a federal royal commission into water management, a move supporters say marks a turning point in long-running concerns over the…