Home » Gannawarra Times » Frustration brews for Gannawarra pub owners

Frustration brews for Gannawarra pub owners

LOCAL publicans have been left underwhelmed by the latest relaxation of coronavirus restrictions announced by Premier Daniel Andrews on Sunday.

Under the revised requirements, hospitality venues can increase their capacity from 50 to 70 people outside and from 20 to 40 people inside.

However, there is still a limit of 10 people per room and a requirement for four square metres of space per person, meaning many hotels may not be able to significantly increase patronage.

Jamie Williams, of The Bower Tavern, said he was angry that the continued conditions weren’t initially made clear.

“The increased limits sounded great until they released the actual conditions.

“You need four rooms to get 40 people inside, and it’s still one person per four square metres.

“Nothing much will change here at the tavern.”

Rob Fisher, of the Royal Hotel in Kerang, described himself as “beyond angry” at the changing array of restrictions and “adjustments” for the industry.

“I guess this is a little step but it’s not going to make much difference,” he said.

“Whether it’s enough to get the beer lines on and open the bar, I don’t know.”

Kerang Sports and Entertainment Venue manager Mat Chamberlain said the club was unlikely to open immediately but management would discuss the situation this week.

Also eased on Monday were rules around visiting people’s homes and visiting aged-care facilities.

People can now have two adult visitors from different households to their home every day, replacing the previous household bubble rule, while aged-care residents can receive multiple visitors from the same household.

In a change to attendance limits at outdoor religious gatherings and ceremonies, up to 20 people able to take part in services from this week.

Father Novi Lim said the Catholic church had been holding outdoor services for 10 people for several weeks and would wait until November 1, when 50 people would be permitted, to boost numbers.

“It’s good news because we’ll be able to see many parishioners who couldn’t previously come,” he said.

“But it’s a bit difficult because we don’t know about the weather.”

While libraries and toy libraries are now permitted to reopen to a maximum of 20 people, Gannawarra Shire Council has not yet indicated when its facilities will open their doors.

Among the next stage of changes, from November 1 non-contact indoor physical recreation for people under 18 will be permitted for a maximum of 20 people.

Non-contact indoor community sport for under-18s will also be allowed, with spectators limited to one parent, guardian or carer per child.

Digital Editions


  • Bowls Notes

    Bowls Notes

    KERANG WHAT a splendid sight our club presented on Saturday as we hosted the first and second semi-finals of Saturday Pennant. Members put in a…

More News

  • One on run after drug raid chase

    One on run after drug raid chase

    ONE person remains on the run and four others have been arrested after a scrappy chase through “treacherous terrain” police said, following a multi-million dollar drug bust at a Milnes…

  • Showcasing local talent

    Showcasing local talent

    PYRAMID Hill Memorial Hall was filled with fine art and those who appreciate it on Friday night for the opening of the annual art show. Show organiser Anne Grogan received…

  • Flood recovery exhibition

    Flood recovery exhibition

    RESIDENTS and visitors are now able to view a photographic display highlighting the Gannawarra’s recovery from the 2022 floods. The Gannawarra Reflect and Connect – A Celebration of Community exhibition,…

  • Raiders claim top spot

    Raiders claim top spot

    BARHAM-Koondrook will enter this year’s SHDCA finals series as premiership favourites after their two-wicket win over RSL saw the Raiders climb to the top of the A grade ladder on…

  • Ley exit leaves Farrer in flux

    Ley exit leaves Farrer in flux

    THE nation’s eyes have fixed on Farrer in anticipation of a “very messy” by-election, to be triggered by the resignation of local MP and the Liberal Party’s first female leader,…

  • Cricket great graces Kerang

    Cricket great graces Kerang

    AUSTRALIAN cricket royalty came to Kerang when legendary batsman David Boon regaled around 50 starry-eyed fans at Riverside Park on Sunday. “Boonie”, who scored more than 7,000 runs at Test…

  • Daily bag limits as season announced

    Daily bag limits as season announced

    VICTORIA’S 2026 duck hunting season will proceed with a daily bag limit of nine birds, a decision the State Government says is grounded in science but which critics have condemned…

  • Hefty price tag for road sealing

    Hefty price tag for road sealing

    A PROPOSAL to seal a road connecting Murrabit to Murray Downs in New South Wales carries a high price tag of $22 million, Murray River Council has been told. In…

  • Gas deadline looms

    Gas deadline looms

    RESIDENTS and businesses in Kerang are being urged to act quickly as Solstice Energy prepares to close its compressed natural gas network. The Victorian Government will host a fresh round…

  • She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    She’s back: independent quick to stake claim in Farrer

    A PROMINENT independent political candidate has put her hand back as a hopeful for the Federal seat of Farrer, following the current MP and former Coalition leader Sussan Ley’s dramatic…